Wednesday, May 17, 2006

getting organizized

So here I am at my parents' house in Lancaster trying to get prepared for my trip to Nairobi, and I'm finding myself mentally aimless and easily distracted by inane things- in other words, I'm procrastinating hardcore. The weird thing is that I don't usually get this way with school work, and in fact I'd give anything to be writing an academic paper right now, rather than pulling together a billion different logistical details. Part of the nature of what I have to get done before I do is that there are a ton of little things to figure out: travelers checks, housing, travel money, mosquito nets, luggage, phone cards; however, rather than figuring these out one at a time in some kind of orderly, rational manner, i sort of bounce distractedly from one to another, leaving a trail of half-finished tasks.


I guess part of this procrastination is because this trip is rather high variance: on one hand I could find some make some big strides in understanding the political economy of development in Africa or could become an instant internet celebrity by virtue of this AWESOME BLOG; on the other hand I could get kidnapped by pirates, come down with malaria, and have to have my remains repatriated. I understand that the reality will most likely be somewhere between these two, but rather than converging on some weighted average of the two, I vacilate between being really psyched and completely terrified; right now I'm mostly the latter.

Speaking of Pirates, I couldn't help but notice but three of the four pirate articles that I linked to in the last post used the same photo of "somali pirates".

If I were a somali pirate, I would totally hire a publicist, and maybe an agent to deal with what could amount to a HUGE publicity problem.


In case you didn't notice, today's fun bloggig skill was posting photos, as well as continuing to practice links!

1 comment:

Laia Balcells said...

good, i wish you can post photos from there. have you a camera?

btw, new haven is not the same since you left. i decided i will spend most july in spain. i was getting bored already;)